Three key core objectives based on the “ECONS” concept with additional objectives to be an empowering effective employer and to promote the principles of Hill Holt Wood to a wider audience.
To run environmentally sustainable woodland by…
- Managing horticulture, permaculture and animal husbandry on a sustainable basis.
- Managing the woodland sustainably
- Monitoring the progress of flora and fauna to increase biodiversity
- Developing and applying alternative/appropriate building, energy generation and manufacturing technology.
- Staying “off-grid”
To run a locally-valued social enterprise by…
- Providing amenity, facilities and access to local people and organisations within a safe, accessible, supportive and informative site.
- Providing education, training and employment preparation advice to excluded school-children, young offenders and unemployed or otherwise disadvantaged young people.
- Developing and implementing structures which facilitate community control.
- Using local good, materials and services.
To run an economically viable social enterprise by…
- Achieving an annual surplus for investment and innovation
- Maintaining a diversity of income streams, clients, products and services
- Manufacturing and selling woodland added-value products
- Delivering consultancy services
Networking and influence by…
- To promote success and influence policy
- Provide ‘experience’ days and promote knowledge transfer
- Participate in networking opportunities
- Establish sustainable relationships with government, charities and representative organisations.
- Promote success through media, internet and publications.
To be a good employer by…
- Operating to IIP standards and processes
- Funding and providing opportunities for personal and career development
- Facilitating internal promotion and professional improvement
- Carrying out regular appraisals which emphasise skills, competence and performance as core ingredients and which reward individual and collective achievement
- Balancing job quality and financial incentive
- Encouraging an open, transparent, supportive, self-reliant, confident culture