PROVING THE VALUE OF ANCIENT WOODLAND IN THE 21st CENTURY
Three key core objectives based on the “ECONS” concept with additional objectives to be an empowering effective employer and to promote the principles of Hill Holt Wood to a wider audience.
To run environmentally sustainable woodland by…
- Managing horticulture, permaculture and animal husbandry on a sustainable basis.
- Managing the woodland sustainably
- Monitoring the progress of flora and fauna to increase biodiversity
- Developing and applying alternative/appropriate building, energy generation and manufacturing technology.
- Staying “off-grid”
To run a locally-valued social enterprise by…
- Providing amenity, facilities and access to local people and organisations within a safe, accessible, supportive and informative site.
- Providing education, training and employment preparation advice to excluded school-children, young offenders and unemployed or otherwise disadvantaged young people.
- Developing and implementing structures which facilitate community control.
- Using local good, materials and services.
To run an economically viable social enterprise by…
- Achieving an annual surplus for investment and innovation
- Maintaining a diversity of income streams, clients, products and services
- Manufacturing and selling woodland added-value products
- Delivering consultancy services
Networking and influence by…
- To promote success and influence policy
- Provide ‘experience’ days and promote knowledge transfer
- Participate in networking opportunities
- Establish sustainable relationships with government, charities and representative organisations.
- Promote success through media, internet and publications.
To be a good employer by…
- Operating to IIP standards and processes
- Funding and providing opportunities for personal and career development
- Facilitating internal promotion and professional improvement
- Carrying out regular appraisals which emphasise skills, competence and performance as core ingredients and which reward individual and collective achievement
- Balancing job quality and financial incentive
- Encouraging an open, transparent, supportive, self-reliant, confident culture